Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Mr. President


I've lived in the United States for almost 20 years and for the first time I can say with confidence that I am proud to be an American. 

It is very easy to be critical of this country. Growing up in the liberal Bay Area with George W. Bush as President for almost half my life, pretty much all I heard were criticisms over his policies and people losing faith in the government all-together. It often made it hard to see why anyone would immigrate to this country in the first place. I had a moment today after I voted that made me want to start singing the national anthem or something. I am an immigrant and my vote counts exactly the same as people who were born here. A lot of people take this right for granted. What they don't realize is that in many other countries immigrants are not granted the same voice. 

Most of all, I used my vote to support a candidate who absolutely inspires me to continue to dare to dream for a better tomorrow. 

As for prop 8: the ballots are still being counted and its not looking too good. All I have to say is that, well, as disappointing as it is, progress takes time. 

2 comments:

danikka said...

yes maia, i agree.

waiting for the results and watching how excited everyone was about this new direction for change made me proud that i will soon be able to be a naturalized citizen of the country.

NOW STOP GETTING DISTRACTED AND WRITE YOUR PAPER!

<3 dan

Kenny said...

im proud to be filipino